What’s your favorite way to eat pickles? Branch out and try these zesty, low cal, low carb goodies with your own homemade cucumber pickles recipe.
Pickled cucumbers are easy to make.
Put a Pickle in it!
We enjoy eating pickles:
- in salads
- in devilled eggs
- on vege burgers
- on cheese sandwiches
- on crackers with dijon mustard
- plain for a low cal healthy snack
- Spears on a plate of crudites for a healthy raw veggie snack
- Hot pickles sliced or chopped with boiled eggs on salad are great
And did you know…?
Pickle Juice is good for cramps and sports recovery!
So… if you’ve ever wondered about drinking the brine from the last of the pickle jar… yep… it should be fine, and even beneficial after a hard workout!
One company actually sells pickle juice! Look at it like a healthy electrolyte beverage with out all the sugar of you know who… Gatorade… and drinks like that.
Homemade Refrigerator Pickles are Best
Most store bought pickles and pickle recipes use distilled white vinegar. However, to be safe with a gluten free diet, apple cider vinegar (ACV) is actually healthier.
Distilled vinegar is made from grain, usually corn, however it could also be wheat, barley or rice. Conversely, apple cider vinegar, is of course made from apples, and is considered better for reducing inflammation and to have good probiotic benefits.
Soooo…. we make our homemade pickles using organic apple cider vinegar. It’s always more enjoyable to feel really good about the health benefit of what you’re eating. Now you can not only enjoy dill pickles, but know that they’re good for you too!
For all kinds of other ideas for cucumbers, especially if you’re growing your own, you may enjoy this article on preserving and freezing cucumbers.
Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
Vinegars contain antioxidants and probiotics, which together:
- Slow premature aging
- Reduce the risk of cancer
- Improves blood sugar levels
- Improves insulin sensitivity (when consumed before a high-carb meal)
- Slows the rise of blood sugar levels
- Research indicates that vinegar can have similar to the anti-diabetes medications acarbose and metformin
- Protects heart health
- Reduces inflammation
- Contributes to weight loss as an appetite suppressant when consumed before a meal
- Antibacterial by balancing pH levels
- Non-toxic disinfectant
We love to use foods as nature intended it… food as medicine. And all the better when you can also enjoy it.